Tuesday, September 15, 2009

summer sketching overload

Sketches from Portland and Vancouver. and maybe one from Toronto.
Thank you to the many people who showed me amazing hospitality from Florida to Oregon to BC. You know that my door is always open.

Now that I'm back in Toronto, I'm working on getting the studio fully outfitted for encaustic classes, gearing up to start some new paintings, and thinking about doing some ink illustrations of the things that grab me each day at 310 Spadina. I spend every day in that building and it never ceases to amaze me how much activity fits into that place.

I read an article in the New Yorker today about how solitary confinement makes prisoners and monkeys (two great populations for psychological studies, apparently) go insane. Is that the unavoidable fate of the artist? Now you know why I'm always trying to get you to stop by the studio.


Sarah neither working nor eating Burger King. must mean the academy already ended.

An awesome drawing of me by Vanessa.

Waiting for my connection at LAX

Sam's kitchen and one of the many old movie marquees in portland.
With a tiny New Zealand orchid glued in, courtesy of Eric.



Boats at the Granville Island Marina.
This guy, a career fisherman about to head out to catch some crabs, offered to help me get started in "direct marketing". I think that means pyramid scheme. Count me in!


Sunbathing at the nude beach. The best part about Wreck is that all the vendors are naked too, so you're bound to have a nude dude with a cooler over his shoulder murmur softly into your ear: "jaggermeister, jaggerbombs, ice cold beer, marijuana".
Not that that's unusual for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment